Thursday, July 8, 2010

Friday Night Lights, 4x09, “The Lights in Carroll Park”

Episode Title: The Lights in Carroll Park
Writers: Patrick Massett and John Zinman
Director: Christopher Misiano

Originally Aired: 07/02/2010
Grade: B+

While this season has been relatively strong as a whole, I think this episode was a bit of a fumble. Both of the major storylines here have some major issues that are difficult for me to ignore.


I’m glad that the Carroll Park storyline was a positive experience in the end, but the way it all began was pretty contrived. As I’ve mentioned before, if the eastern side of Dillon is so plagued with violence, why did no one mention it in the first two seasons of the show? And the fact that the kid got shot within a minute of Coach entering the park for the first time is just as ridiculous and contrived as the miraculous appearance of the other side of Dillon.


I also wasn’t sure why Coach Taylor needed to be working on the park issue and helping Vince get a job in the same episode. I’ve been frustrated before with his occasional blind spots when it comes to the problems his players experience, so having him go all out to help his players on two fronts in the same episode seemed too “Saint Coach” for my taste.


It could be argued that Luke was a bit too saintly about Becky’s pregnancy, as well, but I think his reaction was well within the bounds of his established characterization as a level-headed, even-keeled sort of guy.


I was initially pretty confused by Becky’s pregnancy test results, though, because I never realized that Becky had sex with Luke a few episodes ago. I was thinking, “Uhhh… what? Did she and Tim sleep together offscreen? Is that what’s going on? Because that would suck.” I’m glad that wasn’t the case, but Becky and Luke having post-carwash sex almost feels like a retcon. I assumed there was some fooling around, sure, but it didn’t even occur to me that they went that far with it. Where does the “almost” come in? I suppose in retrospect, her bizarre near-hysterical rejection of Luke after that night makes more sense knowing that they had sex, especially if it was her first time.


Still, at the time, I just assumed she was angry with herself for being weak enough to make out with someone else when she was supposed to be saving herself for her precious Tim Riggins. I didn’t pick up on the “Psst, this is our (way too subtle) way of telling you that Luke and Becky went all the way” nuance in my initial viewings of the relevant episodes, and from what I’ve read around the interwebs, I’m not alone in that. It’s possible that the writers were trying to be coy so they could surprise viewers later, but on this kind of family-oriented show, finding out a month after the fact that two teens had sex isn’t exactly an exciting, “Surprise, we fooled you!” moment.


And considering the way the writers handled Luke and Becky, should I assume that Jess and Landry slept together in this episode? What about Julie and Ryan?


Overall, I’d deem this episode a misfire, but I’m relatively confident that the show will redeem itself with the next episode.


Other Stuff

-I’m happy that nothing terrible came of Glenn kissing Tami. I couldn’t imagine that ridiculous moment sending the Taylors into a tailspin, but sometimes you can never be sure… In any case, the results were largely positive, with Eric having funny moments with both of them and reconnecting with Tami.


-So the McCoys are getting a divorce and J.D. is acting out, but it’s all happening off-screen? I’m going to assume this will become a relevant part of the story soon, because otherwise, I’m not sure why I needed to know what’s going on with the show’s cartoony villains. Were we seeing a contrite Joe McCoy on the verge of redemption, or was this just a brief intermission from his usual douchebaggery?


-Have we ever seen Becky at school before this episode? When she was waiting for Luke, it struck me as odd because I couldn’t remember ever seeing her there. Most of the other characters interact with several other major players, but she’s just off in her own corner of Dillon, pining over Tim Riggins and being neglected by her mom.


-At least Becky’s pregnancy means the possibility of a relationship with Tim is off the table. Or does it? I’ve always believed that Tim’s greatest desire is to have a loving family, so I’m tiny bit afraid that he’s going to offer to marry Becky and raise the kid with her. Then again, I’m pretty sure Kitsch is leaving the show (if he hasn’t already—I know I read a blurb about it, but I can’t find it now), so if Becky is staying on for next season, that probably wouldn’t work.


No comments: